Senior Editor, CyberScoop
CyberScoop seeks a dynamic, digitally savvy and highly motivated Senior Editor
to join our award-winning news team that prides itself on producing smart, independent and revealing journalism to help readers better understand the rapidly evolving – and increasingly vital – world of cybersecurity. We also produce lots of scoops!
The Senior Editor
is a versatile journalist who will split their time between writing and editing. You’ll help drive our team’s daily coverage and work closely with the CyberScoop Editor in Chief to ensure we’re delivering the freshest and most relevant stories. In addition to helping assign and edit daily articles, you’ll carve out your own beat to generate exclusives and enterprise stories about the personalities, issues emerging trends driving the cybersecurity conversation in Washington, Silicon Valley and beyond.
The Senior Editor
should also be well versed in social media, helping to increase our presence across existing and emerging platforms. You’ll also have a hand in driving our daily email newsletter that reaches many thousands of readers. This is an opportunity for an entrepreneurial and creative journalist who wants to become an integral part of a powerhouse and influential news team.
CyberScoop is part of the larger Scoop News Group team that includes FedScoop, StateScoop, EdScoop, WorkScoop and the soon to launch DefenseScoop. We are based in Washington, D.C., with readers around the world.
- Help coordinate, assign and edit daily news and feature stories
- Stay on top of cybersecurity news, trends and related developments
- Develop content for CyberScoop social media channels to ensure we’re keeping readers engaged
- Carve out your own cybersecurity beat, break news and deliver regular scoops
- Approach technology-driven narratives in a creative way that considers the human experience, and conveys complex topics in simple, interesting terms
- Develop and maintain an inclusive roster of sources
- Work collaboratively with reporters and editors on other beats and Scoop News Group teams
- Occasionally interviewing high profile U.S. government officials onstage at CyberScoop events, and/or conducting video interviews for virtual panels
- Contribute to CyberScoop’s multimedia content creation (i.e. podcasts, videos, etc.)
- 5+ years of relevant experience as a professional journalist, writer or researcher with a demonstrated ability of producing compelling narratives
- Previous experience covering cybersecurity is preferred but not necessarily required
- Comfort working in a hybrid environment in which you are communicating virtually with co-workers and/or your editor
- If not located in the Washington, D.C., area, the ability to travel regularly to the CyberScoop newsroom and to industry events in California, Las Vegas and elsewhere multiple times per year
- Strong knowledge of journalism practices, ethics and AP style
Generosity is at the heart of everything Scoop News Group (SNG) does. We consider our team to be the heartbeat of the organization — our most treasured asset. As such, we invest deeply in creating a positive, vibrant, and supportive environment where our personnel can thrive, grow, and expand their careers.
The SNG culture is warm and friendly, built around a welcoming and familial team of professionals. We work hard, play hard and like to have fun whenever we can. To celebrate company and personal milestones, such as birthdays and “workiversaries,” SNG regularly hosts monthly catered lunches, happy hours, and other gatherings.
More about Scoop News Group
Scoop News Group (www.scoopnewsgroup.com) is the leading public sector tech media company in the country. Built on a foundation of award-winning journalism, we are the community's platform for education and collaboration through news, TV, radio and events.
Scoop News Group is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and our employees are committed both to producing the highest quality news products and producing highly- anticipated events while maintaining an energetic, fun, friendly, and collaborative environment in our downtown office.
Scoop News Group has an awesome team and a fun, fast-paced work environment. Our employees are also eligible for robust benefits including a group medical plan, dental and vision, life, short and long-term disability insurance, 401K, year-end bonuses, company-sponsored professional development opportunities and a gadget friendly, cutting-edge work environment. Compensation is competitive, and will be based on holding the skills, knowledge and experience.
Email your resume to email@example.com, with the title "Senior Editor, CyberScoop" in the subject field. Please include links to three to five writing examples, in addition to a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. No calls please.
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION ▲▼